ABOUT KIWI DISCOVERY
Staff at Kiwi Discovery are fanatics about their field of work and genuinely love sharing their knowledge of the activities we offer and passion of the outdoors with customers. Many of our seasonal staff work in the Northern Hemisphere ski seasons and return to us each winter: the drivers, rentals team and front line staff are keen snowboarders and skiers and always happy to share their wealth of personal experience with you.
One of our philosophies is that people should truly enjoy their work, otherwise they are probably in the wrong business.
We have high expectations and endeavour to provide the best service at the best price while protecting the amazing resources we rely on and are lucky enough to be able to share. Our staff are committed to helping us achieve this.
Celebrating 30 years in 2017 – and still in local ownership.
Carol and Vance Boyd purchased “Value Tours Queenstown” back in 1987 and started Kiwi Discovery, providing everything for a ski or snowboard holiday in Queenstown, New Zealand. The following summer, Kiwi Discovery started operating trips to Milford Sound in the Fiordland National Park. Today, tours to Milford Sound run all year round and are proving popular with the independant traveller wanting to see this World Heritage site with an experienced local company.
“Value tours rafting” became Kiwi Discovery white water rafting, then in 1996 after an almalgamation of four Queenstown white water rafting companies, Kiwi Discovery and Real Journeys entered a joint venture and “Queenstown Rafting” as it is known today was incorporated. In 2016, Real Journeys bought the remaining half of Queenstown Rafting and Kiwi Discovery to become to sole owner.
Carol and Vance have been instrumental in developing new products and services throughout the years, the hiking packages for the New Zealand ‘Great Walks’ in Fiordland being one of them. In response to demand for the walking tracks, Kiwi Discovery started an alternative to the Milford Track guided walk where you can hike the Milford Track independantly but the Milford track transport, Department of Conservation Hut accommodation and Queenstown hiking packages are organised for you. Following this success, walking packages to the Routeburn Track and the Kepler Track are now available.
Why travel with us?
- We are still locally owned and operated
- Have over 30 years experience in Queenstown Tourism
- Qualmark Certified, Finalists in 2008 tourism awards, members of New Zealand Tourism Export Council and TIA.
- Committed to the environment
- Provide great value for money products
- Friendly and knowledgable staff
Environment and Sustainability
Kiwi Discovery continually looks at ways to reduce its environmental footprint. Eco friendly detergent is used for cleaning vehicles and equipment. Recycling is encouraged and conservation initiatives around the shops and bus parks are ongoing. In addition key staff frequently volunteer their services to conservation projects.
Kiwi Discovery has received a Qualmark Enviro Silver Award under the new ‘Responsible Tourism Operations’ criteria. The award is given in recognition of 5 key areas: energy efficiency, waste management, water conservation, conversation and community
The company works very closely with the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC), and is always looking at ways to aid and contribute to the environment and conservation in the Queenstown Wakatipu Area.
Many of the staff volunteer for conservation projects in the local area.
OUR STRATEGY – “To identify and provide sought after products, to provide these reliably and profitably and to maintain honesty and integrity in our dealings”
OUR VISION – “To continue to achieve the above to ultimately enable our success to benefit environmental, conservation and animal welfare causes.”
OUR VALUES – “Integrity, honesty, hard work, friendliness, decency.”
We acheive these goals through:-
- Providing a safe, enjoyable work environment for our staff and customers
- Striving to provide the best service and products we can
- Minimising waste and improving efficiency
- Recycling whatever waste we can
- Correctly disposing of whatever waste cannot be recycled
- Minimising energy and resource use
- Supporting and contributing to community, wildlife and animal protection organisations
- Constantly striving to improve
- Encouraging customers, staff and business associates to provide feedback to assist us in achieving the above
Company Safety & Health Policy
Kiwi Discovery is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all personnel, clients and visitors.
The Occupational Safety & Health Act requires Kiwi Discovery to identify hazards to employees and others.
Hazards identified are recorded and communicated to customers and staff as appropriate. Employees are required to continue to monitor and be familiar with all listed hazards and discuss additions or modifications to the list with the Operations Manager.
– comply with all relevant health and safety legislation, standards and codes of practice
– support and encourage employee consultation and participation in health and safety
– support the safe and early return to work of injured employees where the work is available and the injury does not restrict the employee from successfully carrying out their duties
– enable staff to elect a health and safety representative and be involved in the hazard management process
– provide health and safety training and supervision
Staff will assist in the minimisation of work place injuries by:
– thinking carefully of consequences before acting and avoid taking unnecessary risks
– adhering to all company health and safety guidelines, policies and procedures
– participating in health and safety training when required
– adopting safe work practices and encourage others to do the same
– reporting injuries promptly and accurately
– actively contribute to hazard identification and management